Die Anwendung zum sicheren Löschen von Datenträgern

HDShredder fault - blank screen

Post by ABC1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 am

When using the software to erase a 250 GB hard drive in an external enclosure (connected via USB) the program window blacks out. Large portions of the screen are blank, hiding details of what the app is doing, covering the progress bar, etc. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it multiple times and it keeps doing it.

In addition to this, when trying to erase an SD card connected through a USB card reader, the same thing happens. Also, despite saying the card has been wiped, when I check all the (corrupted) data is still on it. I've done this twice and it happened on both occasions.

Please help!
ABC1

Re: HDShredder fault - blank screen

Post by Adrian Decker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:44 am

Hello ABC1,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with HDShredder.

Regarding the problems you observed on your system I would like to ask you on which Windows version you started the HDShredder Free Edition. And on which hardware system (mainboard & CPU manufacturer, model name, revision)?

Also, are you able to erase your SD card, when you start HDShredder from a self booting USB drive? At the following address is a short tutorial about how to create an HDClone 6 self booting USB drive (This also applies to the HDShredder Boot setup): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtrszugEW4

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker
Adrian Decker

Post by ABC1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:21 pm

Adrian Decker wrote:Hello ABC1,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with HDShredder.

Regarding the problems you observed on your system I would like to ask you on which Windows version you started the HDShredder Free Edition. And on which hardware system (mainboard & CPU manufacturer, model name, revision)?

Also, are you able to erase your SD card, when you start HDShredder from a self booting USB drive? At the following address is a short tutorial about how to create an HDClone 6 self booting USB drive (This also applies to the HDShredder Boot setup): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtrszugEW4

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker

Thanks for your reply. It's Windows 10 Home on a Medion Akoya S6211T laptop with an Intel i5 processor. I did try to make a USB bootable version when reinstalling the software but it didn't work (my laptop refused to boot from it. I'll have a look at the video you linked to). I took a screenshot of the program blanking out portions of the app window if that helps, but I'm not sure how to share that here.
ABC1

Post by ABC1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am

Adrian Decker wrote:Also, are you able to erase your SD card, when you start HDShredder from a self booting USB drive? At the following address is a short tutorial about how to create an HDClone 6 self booting USB drive (This also applies to the HDShredder Boot setup): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtrszugEW4

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker

Okay, I just looked at the video and I'm afraid there is no toolbox menu in the HDShredder software (free edition) which the video says is required to make a boot drive.
ABC1

Post by Adrian Decker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello ABC1,

The HDShredder 4 Boot setup can be selected directly after the start of HDShredder. Then the usage is pretty much the same as in the tutorial for the HDClone 6 self booting USB drive.

Though, regarding your system I would like you to note, that Windows 10 is officially supported from HDShredder 5 on. Since the Free Edition of HDShredder 5 hasn't been released yet (scheduled for next quarter), I kindly ask for your understanding, that there might be no final solution for your system now. Though, the following might work in your case:

- Minimize and maximize the HDShredder window when the black screen has appeared. It is very likely, that the deleting process continues anyway.
- Start HDShredder from a self booting USB drive. If necessary in "Singlecore mode" or in "Safe mode", by opening the extended boot options with <M> (More Options), while Symobi/HDShredder is initializing (5 second count down)? If the USB drive isn't recognized by your system as self booting medium at all, then make sure that the used file system on this USB drive is supported by your BIOS/UEFI (FAT16 is supported in most cases), and also check it with the Windows tool CheckDisk (chkdsk) for file system errors.

Sincerely,
Adrian Decker
Adrian Decker

Post by ABC1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.
ABC1