Archived discussions regarding the Stand-Alone-Tools

Using a boot USB drive requires activation?

Post by leedickey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:34 am

I've been using this product for a few years now (since version 4.x) and I am now unable to use my USB boot drive on my laptop without first activating the USB drive? Is this normal? I am using the professional version and just upgraded to version 6 and am now having these problems.
leedickey

Re: Using a boot USB drive requires activation?

Post by leedickey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:39 am

I translated the forum post here and it says I have to download again and register again? Please explain!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5518

I may request a refund if I cannot use my USB boot without first having to activate it.
leedickey

Post by Adrian Decker » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:09 am

Please download HDClone with your license key at https://www.nanoways.com/esd/ one more time. Then use this newly generated software package for creating your self booting USB key. That way you can use the USB key at all systems, which are currently permanently activated, without the requirement of any further permanent activations.

Please note that a Workplace License allows you to permanently install and use HDClone on up to two systems (PC) at the same time. For this you have two Permanent Activations. If you need a more flexible license model for using HDClone on arbitrary systems, I recommend the Professional Edition Portable. For more information please visit the following address:
https://www.miray-software.com/products ... -panel-908
Last edited by Adrian Decker on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Decker

Post by leedickey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Adrian Decker wrote:Please download HDClone with your license key at https://www.nanoways.com/esd/ one more time. Then use this newly generated software package for creating your self booting USB key. That way you can use the USB key at all systems, which are currently permanently activated, without the requirement of any further permanent activations.

Please note that a Workplace License allows you to install and use HDClone on up to two systems (PC) at the same time. For this you have two Permanent Activations. If you need a more flexible license model for using HDClone on arbitrary systems, I recommend the Professional Edition Portable. For more information please visit the following address:
https://www.miray-software.com/products ... -panel-908

This is a bait-and-switch to those of us that have been using HDClone Professional for years at their workplace in order to image and clone systems that are not their workstation but laptops that our users may use for travel. This is not what a Professional version is and I cannot use it the way Miray has advertised it for years. I am very disappointed and cannot make proper use of version 6 and request my upgrade fee be refunded.

Please tell me how I go about acquiring a refund. I will continue to use version 5.x until I find a suitable professional alternative. thank you.
leedickey

Post by Adrian Decker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:59 am

The Workplace License of the Professional Edition always allowed to permanently install and use HDClone up to two systems (PC). The Technician License allowed usage on any system to maintain, using the delivered hardware token (USB key). With HDClone 6 the Professional Edition with the Technician License became the Professional Edition Portable. Except for the naming in this one case, the licensing itself hasn't changed with the HDClone 6.

If you intend to use HDClone on many different systems, I recommend an Upgrade to the Professional Edition Portable (former Technician License for the Professional Edition). For that please enter your license key at our update and upgrade configurator:
https://www.miray-software.com/shop/updates/index.html
Adrian Decker

Post by viper5500 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 pm

I also have used the professional version for many years, and I agree that Miray have moved the goalposts on this.
I never had to activate a USB or bootable CD before and I am now being told I need to upgrade to a higher version software to use it in the same way that I always have done before.
I will be looking for a new cloning software and a refund on my upgrade to version 6, this is a blatant attempt to screw more money out of loyal customers.
viper5500

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm

leedickey wrote:This is a bait-and-switch to those of us that have been using HDClone Professional for years at their workplace in order to image and clone systems that are not their workstation but laptops that our users may use for travel. This is not what a Professional version is and I cannot use it the way Miray has advertised it for years.

The features of HDClone 6 Professional Edition are what makes it "Professional". The license terms are communicated openly on the product page. The Technician License of HDClone 6 Professional Edition Portable just adds use on arbitrary systems compared to the Workplace License of HDClone 6 Professional Edition. You may still use the latter on up to two PCs firmly. This is more than the previous licensing rules allowed. And it deems fair that users that additionally use it on arbitrary PCs (like service technicians or IT departments) use a different license, according to the usually more intense use made of HDClone in this case.

In all other aspects, the licensing rules have stayed the same, just that they are technically enforced now. We offer different models now, in order to satisfy all types of users and we haven't had a single user, yet, we couldn't find a convenient license for. We offer Permanent Activations, One-time Activations and token based licenses to serve the different requirements our users have.

We understand that there are users who haven't taken care of the licensing rules of HDClone before and now are dissatisfied that these rules are technically enforced. But these users are complaining about their own cheating no longer being possible in the end. We can understand that from a personal perspective. But we hope you can understand that our concerns and efforts are directed to the users who respect the licensing rules.

HDClone has undergone a tremendous evolution over the recent years. To be able to achieve that, Miray has until today, put every dime earned from HDClone put back into further development. There are only few applications at all where the And we want to continue this strategy. We want to evolve HDClone even further, at the advantage of the community of HDClone users. It hasn't been easy to find models that satisfy most types of users - for frequent business use as well as for home use, and to offer an even more attractive pricing for loyal customers. We will always continue improving at the advantage of the community of HDClone customers. And this community is formed by those users who are willing to pay for what they make use of. We have no reason to bait users into using HDClone and it also would make no sense.
Mike